Thursday, March 1, 2012

"The Fathers of Science Fiction"


I have seen the works of both H. G. Wells and Jules Verne since childhood. I unfortunatly confuse the works of the two due to the fact I refer to both as the founders of the Sci-Fi genre. What I loved about their works, the series Star Trek, and the genre of Sci-Fi as a whole, is the whole matter of showing the mysteries of the cosmos, and the exploration of things beyond our current level of comprehension. Whether the works inspire fear of the unknown or a desire for knowledge, it provides a great distraction from our everyday mundane lives, and it is those qualities that make Science Fiction great.



After a slight bit of research on the matter, I found that along with H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, an author I have hardly heard about by the name of Hugo Gernsback, is also included in the trio of authors known as the Fathers of Science Fiction, and should I come across any of his books you can expect a follow up blog post soon enough. However between the two authors of which I have read of, I prefer H. G. Wells. This is because I feel Jules Verne takes a more casual approach to Science Fiction, he seamlessly intergrates it into his story without it becoming overwhelming, great for those new to the genre. Yet H. G. Wells, as can be best seen in his work, War of the Worlds, takes a more proactive approach. The radioplay version did stir up a good deal of controversy and fear when it was first released, for the audience really believed that the world was now under siege by beings from beyond. H. G. Wells made good use of our fear of the unknown, yet when all seemed bleak in the story he explained a logical undoing of the aliens, something so very simple yet entirely conceivable. Now your opinion may vary, so I urge you to at least experience a bit of which each author has to offer, if you are at all interested in the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment